How To Replace Vinyl Straps On Patio Furniture (Re-Strap Patio Chairs)
Patio chairs provide great comfort during the summers! But you’ll commonly witness the vinyl straps on your patio chairs torn or broken down.
To use your patio chair you’ll need to fix or buy a new one. And many people prefer the first option!
So, if you’ve decided to fix that hanging vinyl strap, you have reached the best place.
In this article, we are going to talk about the best way you can replace those vinyl straps! When it comes to replacing the straps, it is quite tricky, but not that difficult.
Read on to understand how to replace the vinyl straps to enjoy the comfort.
Procedures To Replace Vinyl Straps On Patio Furniture
Before you start, there are certain tools and equipment that you will need. Be aware! It is about to get a bit crafty ahead!
So, get a hold of these tools to start with the process:
- Drill Machine with a 1/4th drill bit
- New vinyl straps
- A block of wood for a base (this will help you protect your workbench from any potential damage)
- Tin Snips
- Cotton Gloves (for safety)
- A Measuring Tape
- Boiling water
- Tongs (to take out straps from boiling water)
Work Environment Set Up
After getting the tools, you will need to set up the environment for working on your chairs.
There are some requirements that you need to fulfill. You will need boiling water. An easy way of doing this is to set up a propane tank near your workplace.
You will waste a lot of time if you rush to the kitchen to boil each strap, so make the necessary arrangements.
Steps Involved In Replacing Vinyl Straps
To replace your straps, you need to follow this outline as accurately as possible –
- First, you must remove all the damaged vinyl straps from your patio chairs. Check if the rivers are dry, as it will be easier for you to remove the straps. Suppose you find that they are not dry enough. Use pliers to make an opening. Also, an application-specific screwdriver will help you eliminate all that debris and dust.
- If you need to widen the holes, use the drill to create new holes.
- When done, get your measuring tape and wrap it out of the frame to get the measurement. Hold the tape at one end, wrap it around the hole, and pull it across to the other side, around the hole. Take a note of the measurement, and deduct a cut of 10% of the measurement. Such as, if the total measurement is 24” when you take 10% of it, the remaining portion will be 21.5”. Ten percent of the measurement is reduced so that the vinyl straight fits tightly because it becomes much more pliable when you throw the straps into hot water.
- If you have the vinyl strap roll, you must cut the vinyl straps using the tin snips according to the measurement. Also, trim the sharp edges and corners, so they do not get visible when you wrap the straps around the frame.
- Check how many straps you need, hold a couple of them together, and make necessary holes in both the ends. You should drill the holes at a distance of ¼” from the end. Make sure you drill these holes over the woodblock to keep your hands and workbench safe.
- To order pre-cut straps, you must fill in the measurements and place the order.
- Now, put the straps into boiling water.
- Let the straps stay there for four to five minutes, and remove the strip using the tongs. Make sure you wear gloves.
- Now, stretch the vinyl strap from one end to the other end of the frame for installing it, and push the rivets, so it gets fixed.
Repeat the steps for the other straps as well.
Now that you have read this article, you know how easy it is to replace the vinyl straps of your patio furniture.
Yes, it is simple, but it needs boiling water and sharp objects. It is better to use the safety materials as directed. It is recommended to use safety gloves whenever you are working on this.
If you follow the steps outlined, there is no way you can face a problem with that. You can do it pretty easily.
Cleaning patio furniture regularly is the best way to keep it looking shiny for a long time. Many patio furniture owners wonder how to properly clean their furniture. Here are some tips for cleaning patio furniture mesh.